Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday

I went to another science talk last night. This one was given by Dr. Don Potts. He's the advisor of the grad students out here doing the coral reef research. His talk was kind of depressing since he talked about the decline of the coral reef at Midway and how it could be gone in 100 years due to ocean acidification from increased CO2. It was really interesting though and he had some thoughts on what can be done to stop the coral death.

On another note, the mosquitos are getting bad here. I killed one yesterday and one today. I know you people in North Dakota and Minnesota feel sorry for me.

I've got to get up early and sharpen the chains for "Chainsaw Friday". It's a little like "Casual Friday" but more work.

I'm running out of original photos for now so I'll give you one of an Emerald Beetle. These guys are almost an inch long and are very clumsy fliers. They run into things all the time. You can also make nice broaches out of them by putting them on your shirt. They don't bite but they eat all the papayas before anyone can pick them, and they aren't native so I don't like them too much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right! Being from Minnesota I can't feel very sorry for you in the Mosquitoe department. The report has been that mosquitoes are down this year, but West Nile is up. Love your blog!
Kathy