Friday, September 7, 2007

I'm Back

I'm finally back on Midway. I was so busy in Honolulu that I had no time to go find any internet spots. I had great flights both there and back. It was mostly clear so I got a decent view of many of the Northwest Hawaiin Islands such as Laysan Is., French Frigate Shoals, and Pearl and Hermes Atoll. It was a little cloudy for great pictures, but I've got a good one of Laysan considering it was through a plane window.
I got my tooth fixed. I needed a crown, but I shouldn't have to worry about it anymore. The dentist was very good and had a great view of the ocean and downtown Honolulu out of his window.

I also got my heavy equipment training in so now I can operate the forklift and the backhoe so we'll see if I can get some projects where I can get some practice in. The training was at the James Campbell Wildlife Refuge on the north shore of Oahu. It was nice driving up there. I had no time to see any other sites but I got a lot of things picked up for the barge to Midway.

Since I was working here besides getting my tooth fixed, I got to stay at the Fish and Wildlife Bunkhouse, which is a place for people going to the Northwest Hawaiin Islands. I shared the place with some people that are going to Laysan Island for 6 months. I heard there's only one building there. They also have a lot harder time getting supplies there and there's usually only a few people on the island at any time.

I'll be giving you some pictures spaced out over the next few days and filling in some details. Oh, and I also got my underwater pictures developed so you'll get some of those too.
This is Laysan Island from the plane.
This is the stuff for Laysan. Just about everything gets packed in individual 5 gallon buckets. That is what people use for their luggage also since they might have to swim with it to get to the island. Big boats can't get to the shore.
I took this shot of Waimea Bay on my way up to my training.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

I'm glad you're back and you've had your tooth fixed.

Good shot of Laysan!

I think I am going to use a big white plastic bucket as luggage from now on! I wonder if I can get away with using it as carry-on.