Tuesday, October 30, 2007

2nd Try

As is the usual on Midway, things changed again. We just got word that our cargo plane is coming tomorrow night so our internet and phones will be shut off early tomorrow (today for all of you). Again it will be at least 6 days until we get the service back.

We had bad news and good news on the mowing today. The bad news is that we found the mower that we used yesterday had a flat tire and can't be used. The good news is that Thawal (our mechanic from Thailand) fixed the clutch on the tractor, so that's back in use. Today we got enough mowed for a few hundred albatross.

Other news: I have been asked to extend here for another 6 months. I told them I would. That's why I've been working all the extra time on Saturdays. I'm taking time off during Christmas and need some comp time so I don't have to take leave without pay. I'll still leave on Dec. 7 like I planned, but I'll just come back in January.

The fuel barge left this morning. Now we're set for a while.

This is the road that goes near the old gun emplacements, old bunker, and cemetery. For you guys who used to be here, it's Roosevelt drive. It probably wasn't so overgrown when the housing was here (this used to be a real street).

This is the bunker that I never knew existed until some weeds were cleared.

From the inside.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Congrats on your extended stay!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are staying, too - long time reader - first time commentor. I love the pictures and descriptions of what you do each day - dull or not, it's different from being a government paper pusher. Good luck to you.

Laura P said...

Are you serious?? Staying 6 more months? I think this year we're staying for the Holidays in the US..we should get together! Tell me more!! Miss you Pete!

Peggy said...

Congratulations on the 6 month extension!

Unknown said...

Ummmm....so I guess this means you will still be wanting a Christmas present when you are home. :-) Send me your list, or you just might get some coal.